Monday, March 19, 2007

Stubborn and Stupid

Here's a classic case of do as I say, not as I do.

I'm in my final week of what's basically been a year-long workout program (more on that soon) and instead of feeling great, feeling like I've accomplished so much, I'm limping toward the end. Why? I've waited too long since taking a break.

I have several of the signs of overtraining. One example: I'm no longer improving. I'm struggling to maintain, much less improve, my pullup count. The biggest issue is that I just feel tired and not excited about my workouts.

I've known that I needed a break for a while but kept putting it off. I far too often do this because I think, "I need to keep working out." Look where it got me -- frustrated when I can't crank out one more pullup and worn out.

So here's the plan, I'll finish this week and be done with this workout and then I'll take a full week off before jumping on something else.

Put breaks into your workout planning and stick to them.

No comments: