Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Your Core Asset

Right as my feet hit the board I realized I had a problem -- I was off balance. I'd fallen on an earlier wave, so I was determined not to let it happen again. What kept me up? My core.

This happened during a four- or five-hour surfing session yesterday. (Hey, I'm unemployed, so I can surf on a Monday.) The waves had some size to them, anywhere from waist to shoulder high, courtesy of a tropical storm off the North Carolina coast that pushed a swell toward Long Island. And I'm still getting accustomed to my relatively new board, which is just 6'4".

So after falling earlier because I was off balance, I quickly realized on this one wave it was going to happen again. So I braced my core and lowered my center of gravity. The next thing I knew I was stable and surfing down the face of the wave. I'm convinced that if I hadn't done so much core work over the past few months I would've fallen again.

Remember that a strong core helps with everyday activities, too. It's vital, especially as we age (who wants to slump into old age?).

No comments: