Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Gym as a Sanctuary

Here's the text of an email I received from a friend today: "If I don't get to the gym tonight I'm going to kill someone."

Sure, it's over the top but I understand the sentiment. The gym, or wherever you train, does more than keep us in shape. It's an escape from everything else in our worlds, a way to work off all that stress. In the gym, it's about us, about making ourselves healthier and better, not solving someone else's problems.

I never fail to walk out of the gym feeling better, and often what it does for me mentally seems to outweigh what it does for my physically.

So my friend calls it his sanctuary. That seems about right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "friend" is ABJ!

Erle Norton said...

At the gym, he's not ABJ.