Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Simplest Nutrition Rule

A friend who is a very good health writer and I were talking today about an article in Men's Health that says bad fats may not be as evil as some doctors say. It's a truly interesting piece that takes apart some of the reasoning behind the saturated-fat-is-bad philosophy.

But is it right? I don't know. I do know that I am doing things like eating eggs much more often because I read more and more about how their benefits outweigh their drawbacks.

Then my friend said amid all the debates about what's best to eat it's probably best to follow one simple rule -- if it's processed, don't eat it. When she said that it reminded of what Jack LaLanne said so long ago: "If man made it, don't eat it." Hey, he's more than 90 years old and still doing great, which ought to make you think there's something to what he says.

No comments: