Sunday, September 7, 2008

More Than One Direction

As I did my intervals today, doing everything from side shuffles to back-peddles with quick starts and stops, I thought a bit about how so many people go in one direction -- forward.

They never move in the other planes of motion, and in everyday life, we do move in those planes. Plus, we stop and start, instead of going in one direction for a long time (think nearly any endurance training or simply jogging for 30 minutes).

That's why I love the way I train (and I better since I spend a fair amount of time doing it). I'm preparing myself to be able to do so many different things, and for my body to move in so many different ways.

I recently read a nice blog post that tackled the subject. Give it a read.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My gym has a 40-yard section for sprints...is that long enough for intervals ?

Erle Norton said...

That's more than enough. One thing I've learned is that you can do a lot with a limited amount of space but 40 yards is plenty -- just give yourself enough room to stop.