Monday, March 2, 2009

The Strenuous Life

Theodore Roosevelt said that people should live a strenuous life. By that, he meant active. Get outside, do things.

Roosevelt of course went well beyond anything most people do today. He started a ranch out west almost on his own. He swam in the Potomac. He boxed. He explored an unknown river in Brazil.

But I do believe he's right, that we all should strive to be as active as possible. So this past weekend I snowboarded Saturday morning, split wood for three hours that afternoon (it's a great total body workout) and surfed Sunday. Then I worked in the yard, though that was the least strenuous of everything I did.

For me that's an extra-strenuous weekend. But it did feel good.

Just remember that being active can be as simple as getting in workouts when you can or taking the stairs instead of the escalator.

No comments: