Sunday, January 20, 2008

Make Getting Fit Fun

Every time I see the treadmills and elliptical trainers full at the gym I think to myself about the time all these people are wasting. They're on these machines for at least 30 minutes, while I finish my cardio workout in less than 20 thanks to intervals.

Now I clearly believe that my version of cardio is healthier than what they're doing but much of what I do has another advantage -- it's more fun. When I go into the empty yoga studio and throw six medicine balls to various parts of the room and then sprint to them and bring them back, I not only am getting a great workout but also I am basically playing a game. Every other drill I come up with has some game aspect to it as well. In other words, it makes my cardio fun, which I can't imagine can be said for all those souls on the treadmills watching TV.

Mark Sisson points out that there are even more adventurous ways to get and stay fit. My favorite -- skateboarding, which I picked up again this past summer.

No comments: