Thursday, February 8, 2007

Can You Get Faster?

Today's New York Times has a story about college football players getting ready for the NFL Combine this month. The combine, of course, is the event where the players run through various drills for NFL scouts and coaches. It can make a big difference in where they end up in the draft.

Within the story there's a debate about whether speed can be taught. The trainers at Parisi Speed School in Fair Lawn, N.J., where the potential draftees are training, say yes. So do the people who run Velocity Sports Performance. (Velocity centers across the country train plenty of players getting ready for college and pro sports, as well as regular folks like me.) The president of the Super Bowl champion Colts disagrees, saying, "Fast guys run fast," the Times reports.

Here's what I know: I've learned at Velocity that your running technique can make a difference. I feel faster when I run sprints. Am I? I don't know. I was never timed before my training at Velocity. But does it even matter whether I'm faster if I feel like I'm running more fluidly, more efficiently? I don't think so if the end result is that my workouts have improved.

To learn the right way to run, you can go somewhere like Velocity or look around for articles that have been written about it. Men's Health has at least two pieces on it: "Smarter Cardio" and "Hit the Accelerator."

No comments: