Thursday, April 17, 2008

Try It, You Might Like It

At 43, I've learned to snowboard, and it's one of the best things I've ever done.

I already surf and skateboard, so I had a leg up when it came to snowboarding. But it still was tough to learn. The first time I went out, I got a lesson at a small mountain near New York City. The lesson wasn't very good, I fell a lot and my technique was lousy.

This past weekend, I went to Vail and had a great, all-day lesson. My instructor was 42 and has snowboarded for years. After a day of his instruction on the beginner slope, I ventured to the blue slopes by myself on Sunday. Was it scary? Damn right it was. But I used what I learned and while I fell a good bit, I was better each time down.

My instructor was impressed with my staying power on Saturday, especially since I'd had little sleep and was at a high altitude. While my body was tired Sunday, I still was able to ride for about three hours.

My experience told me two things. First, being in shape paid off yet again. It made it much easier to pick up and enjoy something new. Second, even if something is a bit scary, try it. It'll invigorate you and remind you what you can actually accomplish.

No comments: