Monday, October 6, 2008

Doing More With Less

Since I get bored fairly easily with various parts of my workout, I always try to come up with things to shake it up. So when the mere thought of coming up with yet another interval plan for the yoga studio at my gym seemed boring, I decided to see what I could do in rest of the gym. And I wanted to do it with the least amount of space possible, simply for the challenge.

So over my last couple of workouts, here's what I did:

Interval workout No. 1: quick steps on a low aerobics step (putting each toe on the step one after another as quickly as possible, 10 each foot); lateral jumps on a bench (jump sideways onto a bench, quickly off of it, then back on it sideways, four times back and forth); 10 mountain climbers; five times simply jumping onto the bench.

Each set took 30 to 45 seconds.

Interval workout No. 2: I started in the pushup position and popped up quickly to my feet, just like I do on a surfboard; then fast step ups on a stool about a foot high, eight each foot; then the lateral jumps; then I grabbed a heavy medicine ball, raised it over my head and quickly slammed it down to the floor, mainly using my core to propel to movement.

That one took about 45 seconds.

Run through eight of those with a minute or so rest between each and you've got a great interval workout.

Plus, each one was done in a tiny amount of space, proving that you can workout just about anywhere. And here's the other thing -- at the end of each interval, I had a hard time catching my breath.

No comments: